Skip to main content
- Orthognathic surgery is needed when jaws don’t meet correctly and/or teeth don’t seem to fit with jaws. Teeth are straightened with orthodontics, and corrective jaw surgery repositions misaligned jaws. This not only improves facial appearance, but also ensures that teeth meet correctly and function properly.
- Orthognathic surgery can also help to correct the following functional issues including:
- Difficulty in chewing
- Biting or swallowing
- Speech problems
- Chronic jaw or TMJ pain
- Open bite
- Protruding jaw
- Breathing problems
- Before any treatment begins, a consultation will be held to perform a complete examination with X-rays, facial photos, dental photos and study models
- Dr. John F. Caccamese, Jr. and Dr. Gary Warburton use modern computer techniques and three-dimensional models to plan your surgery
- Using comprehensive facial X-rays and video stills, we can show you how your bite will be improved and even give you an idea of how you’ll look after surgery. This helps you understand the surgical process and the extent of the treatment prescribed, and to see the benefits of orthognathic surgery.
- If you are a candidate for Corrective Jaw Surgery, our UMOMSA doctors will work closely with your dentist or orthodontist during your treatment